Why we’re supporting The Agnostic Agile Oath
29 September 2017
We believe that Business Agility is a mindset and approach that is valuable for all industries and disciplines.
What is the Agnostic Agile Oath?
The Agnostic Agile Oath* was created by Sam Zawadi with the support of Adrian Lander, Arie van Bennekum and Melanie Franklin. It aims to clarify that agility does not depend on any one framework, and that the goal of Agile professionals should be to “help our customers attain the right level of agility that meets their needs”, rather than rigid adherence to any particular methodology.
The Agile Business Consortium perspective
Geof Ellingham, Chair of the Consortium, explains why the Consortium is supporting this initiative:
“An exclusive focus on any particular framework, whether that be Scrum, Kanban or our own AgilePM® contradicts the very essence of Agile. Our philosophy is based on collaboration across an inclusive community, enabling customer-centric decisions, and early value for the organisation. Good ideas can come from anywhere in an organisation. Agility can come from any form of Agile.”
What’s in the Agnostic Agile Oath?
The twelve promises of the Agnostic Oath are:
- To put my customer first, making them independent.
- To do my best, complementing theory with practical experience.
- To tailor agility to context.
- To understand hindering constraints and work to remove them.
- To share, learn and improve.
- To respect other frameworks and their practitioners.
- To acknowledge unknowns and seek help.
- To never mislead and to never misrepresent.
- To remember that agility is not the end goal.
- To acknowledge that dogmatism is non-agile.
- To recognise that there is more to agile than agile.
- To give to the community as it has given to me.
People not processes!
“The twelve promises of the Agile Agnostic Oath form a valuable reminder that Agile is about people over processes” comments Mary Henson, CEO of the Consortium. “Each one underlines a desirable business behaviour. Put together, these behaviours will promote business agility to create an adaptive and responsive organisation that drive success amidst the uncertainty of current times.”