Home school: finding the balance – Round up
30 April 2020
Posted by: Emily Ruffle
Over the last two months more and more families and teachers across the globe have been adjusting to remote working and home schooling.
For some, this will already be part of a normal routine, for others this disruption to home, school, and work life will take a little time to adjust, learn and find a happy balance.
At the Agile Business Consortium, we already had a flexible working week, and as long as we were online between the core hours of 10-3 it didn’t matter if you were an early riser or a night owl.
As a team we had also grown used to occasional work from home days, already utilising Sharepoint, Teams, Zoom and other communication media. However, there is a big difference between the odd work from home day, and everyone working from home Monday-Friday.
Finding a routine that works for you as an individual and as a family unit can take some getting used to, and may take a couple of iterations of trial and error.
We asked some working parents who have shared their challenges, techniques and tips on LinkedIn to tell us how they have managed the changes.
Here are just a few of the top learning tips
- Prioritise. Be flexible. Be kind
- Understand and empathise – we are all in this together
- Opportunity to learn – inspect, adapt, evolve, improve
- Get to know yourself – create space, find a routine that works for you and your family
- Communication – reset the boundaries between home, work and school, share daily/weekly lessons/meetings.
- Utilise online communications – video calls where possible
- Clear that backlog of tasks..!
Read their full stories.
Want to learn more about remote working? Visit our remote working page for a range of resources.